Today is day 23 of Chase's hospitalization. I went back to work today after a week off. As annoying as it is to be surrounded by 23 teenage criminals, it was a nice distraction for 8 hours.
After work I headed to the hospital. When I was outside the unit and looked in, I saw Chase smiling as he walked towards the door. I got inside the unit and instead of giving me a big hug, he put his hand up and said, "Wait. I spilled my water and need to finish cleaning it up." Then he went into the dayroom and proceeded to clean up his mess.
As soon as it was clean, he ran to me and gave me a big hug. He even asked how my day at work was. We went into his room and sat on his bed. We had a perfectly pleasant conversation! He was laughing and acting completely appropriate. I did still see a hint of tiredness but it didn't seem to overtake him at all.
I walked away from the visit feeling optimistic.
At 6:30pm, Chase called me from the hospital. He wanted to say goodnight to Aimee. They were so nice to each other on the phone. It was weird! Are siblings nicer to each other when they don't have to see each other often?
The nurse on the unit told me that he had a bit of a meltdown this evening but no head banging or self injury. That is a huge step forward.
I guess the words to describe my feeling are hesitantly optimistic. Bring on the sunshine! Please?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment