Saturday, January 16, 2010

My friends

:::WARNING - LONG AND SAPPY POST::::

Last night was a roller coaster at the "Celebration of Life." Everyone that had a part in my dad's life was there last night. I saw people that I hadn't seen in years. I don't have anything too "touching" to say tonight. I am so thankful for my family. But I am also so thankful for my friends. The women that have been my best friends since kindergarten were all at the same table last night showing their love for my dad. It was really cool to have them all sitting at the same table. And my boyfriend was there! They all got to know him a little bit and I think he understands me better after meeting my crazy friends.

I don't really do this, but I'm going to. Most of the women who were at the celebration last night read my blog regularly. And EVERYONE knows that I don't get nearly as emotional in person as I do when I write.

Lindy - You were my best friend throughout my childhood. My dad loved you dearly and for 10 years, you saw him on a daily basis. He loved that you still visited and got to watch you grow into a beautiful young woman. In the end, you stood by him and by me. We have a history with each other and our families that time cannot wash away.

Lou - My dad knew trouble when he saw it! Whenever we argued, he always took your side and told me that our friendship was too important to let go. Your visit in his last days really lit him up. When he didn't recognize much of anything, he knew who you were and was so happy to see you. He never gave up on you, or us. And I won't either.

Ashes - Our ski trips were so much fun and my dad was always happy to drag you with us. I think he trusted you (crazy!). You were one of the people he always asked about. He knew that you would support me when I needed you.

Meredith - Over the last few years I have leaned on you. My dad felt good knowing that even though he wasn't around to help with my kids, that you would be there. He knew that during any emergency, you would drop what you were doing and drive like a mad-woman to be with me. That comforted him. I know he wanted to tell you that. I don't think he ever did.

Lis - The last time my dad saw you was at his house in Discovery Bay. You brought Sean with you. That night my dad told me that you were going to marry "that kid." He was sad that we stopped talking but glad for "that stupid website" that got us back in touch.

Laura - For the first year or so, my dad wasn't sure you even talked! When you got healthy again, I showed him the website of your progress. I found out later that he was bragging about you to a friend that was going to get gastric bypass. "My daughters friend lost over a 100lbs through hard work alone." He was so proud.

Kristie - I wish you could have known him. You would have loved him and it would have explained why I'm such a nut!

I love you all. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment