Saturday, November 28, 2009

Clarify...

Just to clarify -

Chase has spent 105 days in the psych hospital in 2009. I am aware of the good and bad sides. I would NEVER put him there again if I wasn't afraid that someone (himself, Aimee or I) will be hurt. If I am not proactive here... well I'm scared to think of it. I can't have the cops taking my son away. Talk about traumatic...

The reason I pulled our family out of the 20/20 story was because I felt like they were exploiting Chase and sensationalizing the illness. The producer left the 20/20 story also and is determined to make a story that will be different from others. I have full confidence in her and would never do anything to make my sons struggle even worse. If no one makes the RIGHT story about this illness, how will people even begin to understand?!?!

I'm not trying to be argumentative. We have to do everything in our power to protect our babies. I appreciate all support and suggestions. But I am well educated and work in the juvenile justice system with bipolar teens everyday and am determined to see Chase succeed.

5 comments:

  1. If you find out through the CPS investigation of your ex-husband that your son has been abused for years now or even if he just felt scared and insecure around your ex, it will make sense why he is raging so much and makes a very weak case for childhood bipolar. Especially if your son is trial and error medicated on top of an unstable home life and has that much hospitalization time, which would scare him even further. I think when you look back on your current situation years from now you will see it all very differently than you see it now. Just trying to help. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being abused and bipolar are totally different. Who is this Meg?! She is obviously ignorant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kristen. My heart aches for you. You are carrying such a load. I haven't read your blogs quite so recently. Have you tried Chase in a long term residential treatment center that is on the cutting edge of treating bipolar kids? My daughter went to Meridell for almost five months and they did some things that other psychiatrists and hospitals don't try. Our daughter was hospitalized a LOT before that. Just a thought. May God give you strength and peace as take one day at a time. Chase will succeed with you 100% behind him and being as proactive as you are. Take care, Megan

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi. i've been browsing your blog for some time now. i think i also know you from the CABF young child support group. maybe not. anyway, i'm interested in this 20/20 piece. do you know when it's supposed to air? do you think it will help our cause or hurt it? it would be sad if don't do justice what needs to be said about our kids. by the way, your kids are such cuties!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Firestarter and Kristin - Meg here. I'm so sorry if my previous post sounded harsh. I did not mean for it to be. Sometimes I find it hard to communicate effectively in blog comments. Anyway, I am well aware of the differences between abuse and bipolar. My point was that the behaviors that manifest from abuse and bipolar can be the same so sometimes it is hard to tell what is going on - especially in cases where both might be occurring. Anyway, my hope is/was that maybe your son is not bipolar but just has these other things going on and so he behaves as if he is bipolar. Just a thought. And psychiatrists have been known to be wrong on many more than one occasion and psych meds have been known to cause symptomatic behaviors as well on than many more than one occasion. If you want to check out my son's story you can see it at www.raisingbipolar.com. I actually have a lot in common with you Kristin and that's why your blog caught my eye. My ex husband is bipolar as is my son and my ex spent his entire teen youth in and out of juvenile detention facilities and corrective boys camps. He was fine for a while as an adult (when we were together) but eventually went to prison. I feel for your situation, Kristin, and I support you 100% in wanting to see your son succeed. My son is doing really well and I know yours can too. Please feel free to email me if you want - meg@raisingbipolar.com.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete