Wednesday, May 19, 2010

school concerns

Awesome visit with Chase's Grandpa Rick. BUT Chase only came with us because once again he raged when the bus came. I was going to take him to school but then he fell asleep on the floor. I am starting to see a pattern finally!

Not enough sleep or restless sleep--->exhausted Chase--->irritable Chase--->rage--->good sleep

I have obvious concerns about him missing school for this stuff. But I have more concerns on days like today that when I drive him to school, he will rage right away and get sent home anyway. I'm just tired of him hurting people at school during his rages. Any opinions are welcome.

7 comments:

  1. GB has a prn of dissolving Risperdal that pulls her out of age rage in less than 30 minutes. I have never sent any of my kids to school raging- It always seemed counter productive. His meds may need adjustment. Right now GB goes into a rage once every 2 to 3 months. She takes the Risperdal(.5mg) at night and lithium (100 mg) morning and night. The PRN is for rages and psychotic breaks. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried a sleep aid with him, like Clonidine, Rozerem or Ambien? We found that our daughter needs these to get decent sleep. Right now she takes Clonidine and Benadryl. Without them, she is awful the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carter sleeps very, very little on his own and requires an unusually large amount of medicine to sleep, even when he's not manic or hypomanic. We use melatonin, clonidine, and prn trazodone. Bad sleep is a total disaster for Carter (more rage, anxiety, irritability) so it seems damned unfair to me that he also has such extreme and severe insomnia, but I guess that's how it goes.

    Hey, I gave you a blog award! It's on today's post on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a single mom of 4 boys..my youngest is diagnosed with bipolar, but all of my kids have symptoms of bipolar. I was wondering what schooling you took to be able to work with Juev children. I would like to work with children with behavioral/mental health. I am almost done with my assoc. in ECE. Not sure if I should take Human Services or EDUC. Thanks! Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could help you, I hope you are recovering from all the work gossip too, that must be so painful at times. My husband has been there before with his work, it can really take away your energy.
    We tried melatonin, but it never worked as good as the seroquel that basically sedated him. Is he having nightmares, or just too much energy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there. I am a new follower, I honestly don't remember how I hopped over here, I'm sure I saw your link on someone's blog.
    I am 27 and have no children but I am bipolar and suffered from horrible rages when I was younger.

    There came a point where I had to go on homeschooling. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. I was in highschool, so obviously it's a different story and I know it doesn't work for everyone, but I honestly don't think I could have survived going to school every day back then.

    sending you and Chase all the strength and patience I can. If you ever want to talk to someone who's been in your son's position, feel free to contact me.

    fromlazytolady.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. With my son...if he doesn't get enough sleep, we keep him home. Children (and adults) with BiPolar NEED the right amount of sleep. If they do not get it they simply can not function.

    We have LOTS of school issues with my son so I can completely relate. We even had to place him on home bounds schooling for three months and then again last week for the remainder of the year.

    I just keep hoping that I won't have to end up home schooling him. (SO NOT the kind of mom to home school....)

    ReplyDelete