Chase has been at the RTC since wednesday. As much as I like the place, it is becoming clearer and clearer just how mentally ill Chase really is. That sounds awful. Mentally ill? Sick? What is the right way to say that? I wish I didn't have to say it at all.
The RTC is amazing. It seems like a really cool boarding school but with a seclusion room on each floor and plexy-glass windows. You can see the ocean waves from Chase's window. I'll post pics soon.
I have heard from many bipolar kids parents that their kids experience "honeymoon phases" when placed in a new environment such as a hospital, school or RTC. Apparently Chase doesn't go on honeymoons... He is raging on nearly every shift at the RTC. At least they are getting a good picture of the illness and can address it. Two weeks isn't a long time to address such big issues, but thats no one's fault but the school district.
I'm working 14 days straight so I need to rest while I can. Tomorrow after work I will have a long visit with Chase.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Kristin,
ReplyDeleteI'll hold onto the visual of your precious little boy laying under the window filled with magestic ocean waves that are peacefully lulling him into quiet, restful sleep.
Hold onto that one with me, my friend.
We'll hold Chase there together.
Amy
Logan's Mommy
Kristin, I saw this quote from a mom whose daughter was on psych drugs for 10 years as a bipolar child and thought of you and Chase. This is what she was told 10 years after they started her daughter on psych drugs.
ReplyDelete"In 2010, the doctor...acknowledged the trauma from the hospitalizations causes psychosis as do the drugs". The daughter is now schizophrenic from all the psych drugs she has taken over the years and is permanently institutionalized with permanent psychosis. You can check out her blog at
http://bipolarsoupkitchen-stephany.blogspot.com
She was been through everything you have and some.
It's important to remember that nearly all 7 year old children would rage when institutionalized. I know the stress of it would put mine straight into psychosis.
I'm hoping for the best for you and Chase.
I have just come across your blog from the hopeful parents site. I have a 4 year old with bipolar (and a 7 year old on the Autism spectrum).Our dr recently told us we need to switch to a better suited dr because he cannot prescibe the higher level antisychotics we are needing and he mentioned that my son may need to be hospitalized for a couple of weeks for observation. I feel like puking every time I think about it. Im so glad to not be alone (not that I would wish this on anyone else). I will be back to look around later. Im coming up on the time of day where we seem to experience rage only so I need to put the computer away now!
ReplyDelete