Sunday, May 17, 2009

rage

Another interesting day. Jared had the kids all day, brought Chase home with a bad sunburn on his face because they "forgot" to put it on his face.

We went to our next door neighbors house and went swimming for about 2 hours. Both kids had fun and were well behaved.

We came home to eat dinner. I had ordered pizza since we were at the neighbor's pool. For some reason, Chase decided he didn't like pizza and that he wanted something else. I told him "no." That's when all Hell broke loose....

Chase started raging. Aimee and I were alone in the house with him. This rage scared me. Aimee is so used to the rages that she knows now to go get in her bed and stay there until I say she can come out of her room.

Pizza, a plate, and a chair were thrown, then I finally got him to his room. He couldn't stop. If I got too close, he'd hurt me, so I kept my distance. I actually pulled out the video camera so I could show his doctor what his rages look like. At one point Chase grabbed the camera and almost threw it at me.

The rage lasted nearly two hours. I'm at a loss here. I'm so tired. Chase ended up in bed before 6pm because he was so tired after raging. What frusterates me the most is that behavior modification, therapy etc are not enough to treat bipolar. Medication is used in addition to the therapies. But how can he get better when no medication helps?

I'm not giving up on the meds that he's taking right now. We had one really great week. But I also have to wonder about the pattern of Chase's behavior. Reading over the blog it is clear that his worst days are the days that he comes home from seeing his dad. I have no clue what to make of this.

I had taken pictures today of the kids swimming, but my memory card got messed up or something so the pictures are gone.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my. It must be so hard to know you are doing everything you can, and Chase is still struggling. I hope there is a medication out there that will work for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds really hard to deal with all of this. i support you from a far.

    You said you didn't know what to think when he comes home from his Dad's that he seems to have the hardest time...I think any kid has a hard time with change. Going from one house to the other must be a huge adjustment for a 6 year old with special needs. I imagine it is his way to dealing with that adjustment.

    ReplyDelete