Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The News and more

The Good News

Chase is doing well! He is participating in the group counseling, individual therapy, and even the one hour of "school." The meds have him a bit sleepy, so the doc is lowering the Tenex a bit. It is possible that Chase could leave the intense psych hospital soon.

The Bad News

They will not release Chase until we have AB3632 in place or something similar. Everyone feels like Chase needs multiple support systems in place to come home safely. For example, access to the Mobile Response Team, WrapAround services, behavioralists and behavioral coaches. OR the possibility of bringing Chase to a less restrictive psychiatric facility where he will receive an actual education (as opposed to the 1 hour per day he gets in the hospital.)

AND the people from AB3632 are unable (and unwilling) to speed up the process, so we are looking to May at the earliest.

The Reason for Such Issues

The reason that we don't have AB 3632 in place already is a pathetic one. Chase's Social Worker at his school (we will call her Bob), is the one who would help with getting Chase on 3632. I have been asking since last summer if she can get Chase evaluated for services. Bob told me that not only would we not "qualify" but that it would be shut down almost immediately due to budget cuts. So I stopped pushing it. Once in the hospital, I asked Bob again and also for an IEP. Bob told me the same thing about AB3632 again, and that we didn't need to do an IEP because when he comes home, he will get the same as he did before, no less. Turns out, what Bob did was illegal and just plain wrong. The principal got involved and now we have the paperwork turned in but it can take a LONG time to process. Otherwise Chase would have had these services months ago.

Action Plan

Tomorrow morning I will be speaking with the hospital social worker regarding my new information regarding the time frame. I will also be calling the Kaiser Case Manager to beg her for services during the interim (bad spelling?). I would also love suggestions on how to deal with the situation with Bob.

1 comment:

  1. Bob is bad. Bob needs to be reported to a higher official, hopefully one who could get this process moving along faster since Bob was in error! Maybe a threat... (my bad).

    I'm glad Chase is better. I know how badly you want him home and all because of Bob, Chase will be there longer. UGH - Bob!

    I hope you find someone to help you with Bob to speed things up.

    I miss you!

    ReplyDelete