This is a very hard post for me to write. At the hospital today, I showed up in the middle of a rage. I could hear him raging from off the unit. He was already in the quiet room. They used a blanket wrap on him and I'm not sure what else. I was just so distraught.
I sat in the hallway (i couldn't go in) while I listened to my baby rage for nearly an hour. After he calmed down, I was able to go in and sit with him. He had lost his voice from yelling so much.
Other than that, he was my normal little man again. I could tell he was almost embarrassed by the rage. Medically speaking, they took his lithium and depakote levels, both of which were freakishly low considering the dosages he is on. Both dosages have been raised starting tonight. They will also be switching the seroquel for the risperdal since his body tolerated it better.
He has been there the longest out of all of the children on the unit. He is also the youngest. When I was leaving, the social worker spoke with me.
Once again, the dreaded word came up. RESIDENTAL. She said that we are a long way from even getting to that point because for the time being, he needs to stay in the acute psych facility until he is more stable. But she said it will be unlikely that they would recommend he come straight home.
On a good note, THANK GOODNESS FOR CALIFORNIA! The mental health parity act means that our insurance can NOT limit the number of days that chase is in the hospital based on his parity diagnosis. I'm not sure what the other qualifying diagnosises are, but his is Bipolar Mixed Severe with psychotic features.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Kristen,
ReplyDeleteOur prayer are with you. We love you. We will do whatever it takes to help you and the kids. Like in "A Walk to Remember", "without suffering there is no compassion". Samantha has been stuck on this verse and would like to pass it on to you. 2 Corinthians 4:8-9: We are hard-pressed on every side but not crushed; perplexed but not in despair; persecuted but not abandoned; struck down but not destroyed. <<< Auntie, this verse speaks to my soul and helps me when I feel I am at my lowest. I hope and pray that it helps to mend your soul as well. God has a purpose behind everything. You are surviving, you are strong, just as God shaped you. "This too shall pass".
Love,
Your Family